Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Once a Rancher by Linda Lael Miller

Title:  Once a Rancher
Series:  The Carsons of Mustang Creek #1
Author:  Linda Lael Miller
Publication Date:  April 1/16 by HQN Books
Length:  320pgs
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  Netgalley
Rating: ★★★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

The Carsons of Mustang Creek: three men who embody the West and define what it means to be a rancher, a cowboy and a hero in this brand-new series from the queen of Western romance
SLATER CARSON might be a filmmaker by trade, but he's still a cowboy at heart—and he knows the value of a hard day's work under the hot Wyoming sun. So when he sees troubled teen Ryder heading down a dangerous path, he offers the boy a job on the ranch he shares with his two younger brothers. And since Ryder's guardian is the gorgeous new Mustang Creek resort manager, Grace Emery, Slater figures it can't hurt to keep a closer eye on her, as well…

GRACE EMERY doesn't have time for romance. Between settling into her new job and caring for her ex-husband's rebellious son, her attraction to larger-than-life Slater is a distraction she can't afford. But when an unexpected threat emerges, she'll discover just how far Slater will go to protect what matters most—and that love is always worth fighting for.

My Review:

She’s back! I’ll admit that Miller’s past few releases haven’t sparked my interest as much as her older work did, but with this one, I’m all on board again. She returns to her roots with a compelling plot and complex characters that I couldn’t get enough of. A sense of the world today is tempered by a timeless quality. This is definitely a novel that will go the distance.

Picturesque scenery combined with a heart wrenching, captivating plot that drew me in without a second’s hesitation. I enjoyed how this novel ties into Mustang Creek & Bliss County. This town is really starting to grow on me. At the same time, this novel stands well on its own if you’ve never read any of those novels.

Slater was a blast. The mix between tough & caring, rancher and film maker was so dynamic. I also enjoyed how Grace realises she’s trying to be too strong for her own good. Don’t get me wrong, she wasn’t a weak heroine by any means, but knowing that she needed help made her so much more real. And don’t even get me started on the rest of the Carsons. This was far and beyond a fun cast to spend time with. I will say, however, that I hope things get sorted out for Ryder in future novels. He really needs a sense of permanence somewhere.

As a whole this was a great small town romance. I enjoyed the mix of concepts along with the well written dynamic of the novel as a whole. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to others.

Book Links 

No comments:

Post a Comment