Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Mystery House by Eva Pohler

Title:  The Mystery House
Author:  Eva Pohler
Publication Date:  December 12/15
Length:  326pgs
Genre:  mystery
Shelf:  review
Rating: ★★★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

Ellen and her two best friends share a mid-life crisis by hatching a plan to renovate an 1860's Greek revival in the nearby historic district of San Antonio. Although Ellen isn’t one to believe in ghosts, she comes face to face with something inexplicable in the attic. Her ghost-enthusiast friends convince her that they must help the spirit find closure, and as they dig deeper into the past, they uncover a shocking history that someone in the neighborhood doesn’t want exposed. But Ellen and her friends don't give up easily. They realize they've been called to give voice to the invisible women who suffered behind the walls of the house for decades.

My Review:

Goodness, I’d forgotten how much I loved Pohler’s writing. Her knack for storytelling is phenomenal. I feel like I became part of the story. The solid plot of this novel combines with the intricate descriptions to create a whole that I could really picture. There was a definite eerie feeling to the entire tale. The Story was mysterious but also very emotional. I enjoyed the history aspects as well as the mystery that winds its way through the tale. The historical psychology aspects were shocking & well researched. All in all, this novel was some good, clean fun. It was a fun story with characters that I truly enjoyed getting to know and a plot that kept me on my toes.

Pohler has created some compelling & unique characters who are one of a kind & stand out without being too weird to connect with. The complex character development made them into friends, rather than simply storybook characters. Loved the different combining viewpoints of the characters and how each of their personalities stood out while also melding together. I appreciated how the characters’ entire lives came out in the story. It was about so much more than the mystery house. Hopes and dreams, laughter and fears filled the pages of this novel.

My final thoughts on this one? Holy Smokes! Holy Smokes! Holy Smokes! Talk about a novel that was simultaneously hard hitting, thought provoking, and endlessly fun.

Book Links 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eva Pohler's books and after reading that review, I'm looking forward to reading The Mystery House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Eva Pohler's books and after reading that review, I'm looking forward to reading The Mystery House.

    ReplyDelete