Sunday, August 2, 2015

Obsidian Liquor by Scarlett Dawn

Title:  Obsidian Liquor
Series:  Lion Security #1
Author:  Scarlett Dawn
Publication Date:  September 19/14
Length:  175pgs
Genre:  romantic suspense
Shelf:  Netgalley
Rating: ★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

The Lion Security series fires off with Obsidian Liquor, where no one escapes the Russian mafia's burning flame...

While a brutal competition of America's heroes is held in the United States, Elizabeth Forter is on a personal mission to destroy the Mayor of New York City. But when she’s caught red-handed by a man who kills for a living, her enmity rapidly turns to fear.

Daniil Kozar isn't a man to trifle with, and Elizabeth is forced to strike a deal with the mafia king. Her every action is watched, and she needs to decide how to handle the gun-toting criminal--and his seductive charm.

Daniil may be the devil her father warned about. Or he may be the sensual awakening Elizabeth never knew she needed. Somewhere, Elizabeth's dad is screaming a prayer...

*Originally published in The Obsidian Collection*
*This work contains sexual material intended for readers 18+*

My Review:

Intense, hot sex meets danger, meets a reporter’s natural curiosity. That is what this novel is, and it held my attention throughout. Dawn has created a unique premise that takes readers on a fast paced thrill ride alongside characters that I won’t soon forget. There are times that the writing of the novel feels a bit forced. We get the story from the main characters’ POV but the author doesn’t use the contractions that we naturally think and speak with.

Dawn has filled her novel with the type of characters who grab your attention and hold on. It doesn’t really matter what they’re doing, simply that they’re part of the story and you get to spend more time with them. I enjoyed getting to know everyone from the main characters to the bodyguards. They were easy to distinguish from one another and brought a smile to my face.

I quite enjoyed getting to know the main characters, even though all of her secrets were annoying at times. She’s chasing these characters around, but never tells us why, other than a story. I found myself wondering why she hates them so. If this were the second or later book in the series I could see how the author would assume readers would know information from previous novels, but this is the first novel in the series and I felt as if we were left guessing. Even at the end I was wondering what story she burned. I can guess, but it was never actually stated. Since this novel was told from the main characters’ POV it would have been easy for the author to tell us the secrets without the other characters finding out.

Ok, so it may not sound like it, but I really did enjoy this novel. It was a fast paced, quick read that kept me on my toes. The characters were genuine and fun and the premise was unique. I simply found myself repeatedly questioning the secrets that were kept from the readers.

Book Links 

No comments:

Post a Comment