Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Accidental Wife by Simi K. Rao

Title:  The Accidental Wife
Author:  Simi K. Rao
Published:  March 5/15
Length:  206pgs
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  review
Rating: ★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

From the author of Inconvenient Relations Simi K Rao!

If you enjoyed Inconvenient Relations, you'll love The Accidental Wife, a new contemporary romance from Simi K. Rao.

Some accidents are meant to happen…

Dr. Rihaan Mehta is a brilliant young neurosurgeon who has no inclination for love or marriage. According to him wives and girlfriends are annoying accessories that one can do without. But when his mother dangles the sword over his head in classic Bollywood style, he succumbs, and sets out in search of a bride who would fit his 'requirements'. But can Rihaan deal with what he gets instead?

My Review:

This novel is definitely well written, allowing cultural norms and clashes to shine through. The plot was unique & had me coming back for more. The variety of different locales that Rao brings to life are astounding. I could just as easily picture myself in rural India as I could in New York city, and I’ve never personally been to either. Unfortunately, I simply wasn’t able to fully connect with the author’s writing. The pace was a little up & down, jarring me out of the story. It made it impossible to loose myself in the story, even though I was really enjoying the plot.

The at times comical situations that the main character finds himself in are quite intriguing. There were times I couldn’t help but laugh at this blockheadedness. The female lead was engaging, even if her motives were questionable at times. Surrounded by family and friends who embody the meaning of this story, Rao presents readers with the true sense of an Indian family.

This was definitely a well-crafted & enjoyable read that brings to light both family & culture. Although I found the plot & characters to be quite endearing, I simply found Rao’s writing a little difficult to fully immerse myself in this time around.


No comments:

Post a Comment