Sunday, May 17, 2015

Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward

Title:  Lover Revealed
Series:  Black Dagger Brotherhood #4
Author:  J.R. Ward
Published:  March 6/07 by Onyx
Length:  455pgs
Genre:  paranormal romance
Shelf:  borrowed
Rating: ★★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

Butch O'Neal is a fighter by nature. A hard-living ex-homicide cop, he's the only human ever to be allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. And he wants to go even deeper into the vampire world—to engage in the turf war with the lessers. He's got nothing to lose. His heart belongs to a female vampire, an aristocratic beauty who's way out of his league. If he can't have Marissa, then at least he can fight side by side with the Brothers...

Fate curses him with the very thing he wants. When Butch sacrifices himself to save a civilian vampire from the slayers, he falls prey to the darkest force in the war. Left for dead, he's found by a miracle, and the Brotherhood calls on Marissa to bring him back. But even her love may not be enough to save him...

My Review:

This novel is definitely one of a kind. You can’t doubt that. The brief recap of Butch’s time with the BDB puts everything into perspective, allowing this story to shine through all on its own. The fast paced, suspenseful story is extremely gripping. The sheer eroticism of a mate bond really gets to you. It’s a whole, fantastic package.

Seeing the transition from the male’s perspective was quite enlightening. It gives you a real sense of what it means to be a vampire. The lesser are creepier than all get-up. The more I get to know about them, the more I understand the need for the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I also love how these guys have modernized themselves. Technology & modern speech patterns shine through. The fact that they’ve come to grips with the changing times makes everything so much more real.

Ward creates believable characters that you can relate to and that you really want to get to know. Butch’s fashion obsession kills me and really shines through. He embodies metro sexual and alpha at the same time. It’s a fantastic mix. I know that this is Butch & Marissa’s story but it’s got me really hooked on V. V’s erotic self-discovery was a treat. Getting to know him so intimately really allowed me to understand what he was going through.

The more I read of this series, the more I wonder how I never picked it up before now. As usual, Ward kept me hooked throughout and left my dying to get back with the Brotherhood as soon as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment