Monday, March 30, 2015

Sophia's Secret by Julie Ryan

Title:  Sophia's Secret
Series:  A Greek Island Mystery #2
Author:  Julie Ryan
Published:  July 1/14
Length:  266pgs
Genre:  mystery
Shelf:  review
Rating: ★★★

Back Cover Blurb:

Kat has never understood why she was sent at the age of seven from Greece to live in England with her Aunt Tigi. When she receives an email from her grandmother, the first contact in over twenty years, informing her of her mother’s death, she knows this could be her last chance to find out the truth. Little by little she finds out the shocking facts as her grandmother opens her heart. It seems everyone has a secret to tell, not only her grandmother, as Manoli, her school friend, also harbours a guilty secret. Then there’s a twenty year old mystery to solve as well as a murder and what happened to the missing Church treasure?

My Review:

This author’s writing style sets the tone for the story right from the get go. Readers can easily picture the world surrounding the characters. The plot of the novel is intriguing and unique. The premise had me quite interested. Unfortunately the flipping between the separate stories was distracting for me, especially while trying to get to know the characters. I found that when I’d start to really get into the story it would change to another character, and their story. I regularly wondered what all of the tangents had to do with the main plot, what they added to the story. Everything did tie together in the end.

Ryan’s characters were well developed and likeable. I appreciate how we could understand all sides of the story. Ryan does develop a large cast, many of whom we get to know very well. Each has their own life and story to tell. There were a couple of times where I found it muddied the overall plot, but in general it was great to see so many individuals.

This was an enjoyable, unique read that had me thinking. There were a few times where the plot’s meandering caught me up, but overall I had a good time reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment