Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Gatekeeper's Promise by Eva Pohler

Title:  The Gatekeeper's Promise
Series:  Gatekeeper's Saga #6
Author:  Eva Pohler
Published:  October 1/14 by Green Press/Eva Pohler
Length:  240pgs
Format:   ecopy
Genre:  YA paranormal romance
Shelf:  review
Rating:  ★★★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Before Therese and Thanatos can come to terms with the uncertain future of their unborn twins, Poseidon is attacked and both his wife and trident are stolen.

In this final installment of The Gatekeeper's Saga, Therese is forced to deliver her babies in the midst of an all-out war with enemies more powerful than the Olympians.

My Review:

This novel was much more action packed than its predecessors. Battles are waged, entire ways of life are defended, yet Pohler tactfully avoids the violence in this tale. I found myself caught up in the plight of the characters, trying to help them along, and keep them on the winning side, even when it seemed impossible. Pohler also kept me on my toes, guessing and racing forward to see what happens next. More than once I found myself exclaiming, I soooo did not see this coming. At the same time, Pohler stays true to the Greek myths while making them all her own. She also adds an extra emotional component to this tale. The emotional traumas of the past come forward and the healing begins. I appreciate how Pohler depicts this as an honest and ongoing effort. It makes this novel real & human yet sublimely god(dess) driven.

Although no new characters are introduced in this novel, the personalities of the characters continue to evolve based on their current circumstances. Even the oldest immortals adapt to their current circumstances. The contrast between the mortal and immortal personalities was both comical and enlightening. Pohler highlights not only the godly viewpoint, but also the disparity that Therese had to cross. The similarities between the two groups also become much more apparent in this instalment. Their hopes and fears collide into a single world.

As a whole, this story was informative, enlightening, and a pleasure to read. I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed. It’s a story that parents and teens alike will love.

|  Goodreads  |  Shelfari  |  Amazon  |  B&N  |  Indigo  |  Smashwords  |

No comments:

Post a Comment