Thursday, October 30, 2014

Guest Post with author Emerald O'Brien

Today I'm handing you all over to the ever-capable hands of author Emerald O'Brien.  Enjoy yourselves!


When it comes to movies most people fall on either side of the fence.

Side A: They love scary movies, and watch them often.

Side B:
They hate scary movies, and you couldn't pay them to watch one.


Sure, there are some fence sitters who will watch one the odd time, but generally, these people are forced into it by a friend from Side A. One of my favourite things to do at this time of year is something Side A would probably enjoy. Getting together with friends, or with my husband, gathering some snacks, and watching scary movies. They can be horror, suspense, thrillers, or a combination. I love 'em all!

I put together a small list of some of my favourites that I'll be watching around Halloween this year. I also included a Scare-O-Meter rating, to help both lovers and fence sitters decide what they can handle. I hope to give you some ideas, and that you include some of your favourites as well in a scary movie marathon this season.

Emerald's Scary Movie Marathon List

Scare-O-Meter Ranking from 1 (not scary at all) to 10 (nightmares might ensue)

*Everyone has their own idea of what is scary and what's not, but this is my personal opinion based on a wide variety of experience with the genre.

Coming in with the lowest Scare-O-Meter rating of 1: Flatliners (1990)
With an amazing cast (Julia Roberts, Keifer Sutherland, and Kevin Bacon. Directed by Joel Schumacher). Just a great horror/sci-fi movie about near death experiences. The subject matter is what drew me in while watching, and although it gives a creepy feel, I wasn't scared at any point while watching this.

Rated 2: Zombieland
This is a fun flick, mostly humorous, and filled with awesome actors. The only reason I give it a 2 is...clowns. If you are scared of clowns, you might jump at this one.

With a rating of 3: Scream (and all the movies that followed it in the franchise)
This is a classic franchise that mixes scares with humor. It's cheesy fun, with characters your root for, and one of the most famous survivors of the horror genre. Sydney Prescott.

Rated 4 on my scale: Urban Legend (1998)
This is a teen classic that I remember watching with friends when I was probably too young. It was scary for me then, but I've watched it since, and it's not so bad. It wraps several urban legends into one, and keeps you guessing who the killer is. I love books and movies that keep you on your toes, and this one delivers.

Rated right in the middle with 5: Ginger Snaps
This was a low budget, teen horror flick, and it was totally different from other movies of it's time. Great actors, unique story line. Again, one I watched when I was younger, that was scarier at the time.

Just a little scarier than a 5: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Some of the best acting of any scary movie I have ever seen. The characters are my favourite part of this movie, but the whole premise is pretty great too. Intelligently filmed and executed.

6 on the Scare-O-Meter: The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
It's fun, it's scary, and it's smart. I would expect nothing less from Joss Whedon. Something different, which is hard to do nowadays. Might be a little scary, but most of the shocking parts are actually funny.

Rated 7: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Trying to survive while the zombie population grows, and realizing the people you're fighting with might be more dangerous than the zombies you're fighting against. I love everything about this movie, and it's a remake of a classic that's awesome too. Here's where things start getting scary...and gory.

Reaching to almost 8 on the meter: Stakeland
I wasn't sure I would like it at the beginning, and it's not a well known movie, but it proved to be more than just another vampire story. It had heart, good acting, and a great story line. Very original.

Depending on which installment you choose I give this one 7-9: Halloween
Just the best. I love every single movie made in this franchise. I love the original (1979), I love the other instalments, I love Rob Zombie's versions. I love the actors, and while things can appear a bit cheesy/campy, it's a classic. The only thing I don't love about this movie is Michael Myers, but he is still my favourite movie villain of all time.

Finally, the highest rated with a 10: The Ring
This was one of the first horror movies I watched where I was actually scared as an adult. Like, cover your eyes and ears kind of scared. I enjoyed the first and the sequel almost equally, which rarely happens for me. Awesome unique premise.


And now, enter this awesome giveaway with author Emerald O'Brien.

Prize 1 - $10 Gift card & an ecopy of Darkness Follows & Shadows Remain by Emerald O'Brien
Prize 2 - an ecopy of Darkness Follows & Shadows Remain by Emerald O'Brien
Prize 3 - Winner's choice of book 1 or 2

Entries are open until 11:59pmEST Nov 4/14
Winners will be announced Nov 5/14
Winners have 72h to claim their prizes or another winner will be drawn

No comments:

Post a Comment