Monday, December 30, 2013

Torn from You by Nashoda Rose

Title:  Torn From You
Series:  Tear Asunder #1
Author:  Nashoda Rose
Published:   December 20th 2013
Length:  330pgs
Format:  ebook
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  review
Rating:  ★★★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:


Love is like an avalanche. It hits hard, fast and without mercy.

At least it did for me when Sculpt, the lead singer of the rock band Tear Asunder knocked me off my feet. Literally, because he’s also a fighter, illegally of course, and he taught me how to fight. He also taught me how to love and I fell hard for him. I mean the guy could do sweet, when he wasn't doing bossy, and I like sweet.

Then it all shattered.

Kidnapped.
Starved.
Beaten.
I was alone and fighting to survive.
When I heard Sculpt's voice, I thought he was there to save me.

I was wrong.


(It is highly recommended to read "With You" the novella first).

*Warning: This book contains some disturbing situations, strong language and sexual content. Over 18 years.

This is a love story with some dark elements. Dark contemporary romance. No cliffhanger and next in the Tear Asunder series is Ream's story (the band's lead guitarist).

My Review:

How do you rebuild trust when it’s been shattered? How do you overcome the worst when you’d expected the best? How do you decide what’s worth fighting for?

Rose works in a nice overlap with the prequel without rehashing the entire story. At the same time she makes it easy to pick up the series with this first instalment rather than having to read the prequel (which I would still highly recommend). This is the perfect start to an exciting and shockingly raw series.

The many metaphors and similes that Rose works into her story serve to heighten her already vivid descriptions, bringing this world into abject clarity. She develops each situation, location, and character fully, yet not to the extent that you get popped out of the storyline with an information overload.

I fully appreciated how many different levels of this story were well developed. Rose presents a solid storyline alongside well developed characters. Everything in this story has a history. Even the fighting in the story is accurate, along with the many other difficult, disturbing, and exciting aspects that Rose brings to this tale. And I mean really, who can’t appreciate a voyeuristic App?

I fell in love with this cast of characters from the beginning. There are so many strong, caring individuals that you can’t help but feel for them. The contrast of the solidly Alpha male lead with the strong female who is unsure of herself and her place in the world is very striking, serving to further the story.

As a whole, I absolutely loved this book. I appreciated the fact that this can easily be read as a standalone novel or as part of this brilliant new series. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone and definitely am in for the long haul with this brilliant new series.

|  Goodreads  |  Shelfari  |
|  Amazon  |  B&N  |  

And now, as an added bonus, check out the prequel to the series!

Title:  With You
Series:  Tear Asunder #0.5
Author:  Nashoda Rose
Published:  December 20th 2013
Length:  74pgs
Format:  ebook
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  review
Rating:  ★★★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Sculpt is an illegal fighter.

He’s also the lead singer of a local rock band.

No one knows his real name.

And from the moment I met him, he made me forget mine.

In order to convince Sculpt to give me self-defense lessons, I had to follow his one rule—no complaining or he’d walk. I didn’t think it would be a problem. I could handle a few bruises. What I hadn’t anticipated was landing on my back with Sculpt on top of me and my entire body burning up for him.

I tried to ignore it.

I failed of course. And having a hot, tattooed badass on top of me week after week, acting completely immune to what he was doing to my body—it was frustrating as hell, so I broke his rule—I complained.

Then he kissed me.

Author’s Note: This novella is Sculpt and Emily’s beginning and how they met. It is an extra and not required to be read before “Torn from You”. Their story and what happens to them is the novel “Torn from You”.

*Warning* Huge cliff-hanger. Like huge! But “With You” and “Torn from You” are released on the same day.*

Adult-content rating: This book contains content considered unsuitable for young readers 17 and under, and which may be offensive to some readers of all ages.

My Review:



This story is vividly real. Rose takes off from the first page and doesn’t let you go. I seriously couldn’t put this one down. This racy novella introduces you to the main players in this new series, setting you up perfectly for the ride of a lifetime.

You get to know the main character quite well, on many levels. It’s really nice to see how she came to be where she is today, and how she became the individual that we meet here. I also love the mystery behind the male lead. He is the epitome of a male alpha who goes for what he wants and takes care of his own. These characters contrast with and support each other in an uncanny way.

Although not strictly necessary for the Tear Asunder series, it definitely adds a great deal to the characters that will reappear in the series proper. It was a brilliant read that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend (or re-read).

|  Goodreads  |  Shelfari  |
|  Amazon  |  B&N  |

No comments:

Post a Comment