Friday, July 26, 2013

Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki

Title:  Branded
Author:  Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki
Series:  A Sinner's Series #1
Published:  June 28th 2013
Page Count:  252
Genre:  Dystopian
Shelf:  Review Copy
Rating:  ★★★★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best.

Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home.

Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain.

Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.

The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter.
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.

My Review:

This novel is fast paced and exciting right from the very get go. As a reader you experience a rollercoaster of plot twists and of emotions.

These brilliant authors write seamlessly together. As a reader, you would assume that this novel is written by a single author, the flow is so genuine and intense. The descriptions that these authors use to set the scene for their well developed world are so vivid and lifelike that you can’t help but picture it in your mind’s eye. They set the scene so perfectly that you could walk into this world and join right on in with the characters.

The authors write with a flare and intensity that doesn’t let you go. The emotions that they evoke through their writing are real and very intense. You become so invested in this world and the characters that you live through them. You laugh and cry and hurt with them. I found myself trying to find ways to help them out of their situations.

Although the characters live vastly different lives from ours, you find yourself harbouring strong feelings toward each. Some you come to love, others to hate, but there are few, if any, characters that I found myself feeling indifferent towards. Each character is so fully developed that you find yourself able to see yourself in their shoes. I fell in love with some of the characters and found myself wanting to fast forward to see what happened to them, and then rewind to live with them over and over again, regardless of the situations they found themselves in.

This novel was an amazing beginning to this hard hitting series. It draws you in and doesn’t let you go. You find yourself trapped in this post-apocalyptic nightmare and enjoying every minute of it. Above all, this novel packs an emotional punch that leaves you wanting more and crying out for the sequel.

Buy your copy online here today!

No comments:

Post a Comment