Sunday, May 5, 2013

Interview with Hannah Harvey

Today I'd love to welcome author Hannah Harvey to Pure Jonel.  Lets find out what she has to say!


Q ~ Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
I’m 21, I love to read and buy books. I’m currently studying with the Open University for a BA (Hons) Degree.

I have an illness called P.O.T.S.

I’ve published 2 books onto Kindle so far and I hope to publish more in future.

Q ~ What is your all-time favourite food? 
Hmm tough, I really love Thai food so I’d probably say Thai Green Curry.

Q ~ If you could plan the perfect holiday, what would it be?
I’d love to go to Greece. I love exploring and taking pictures so probably island hopping in Greece.

Q ~ Are there any tv shows that you follow religiously? Any book series? Doctor Who, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, White Collar and The Voice.

I love the Sky Chasers series, The Last Survivors series, and the Delirium series.

Q ~ Have you ever read a book more than once? Do you do this often or does it have to be a phenomenal book?
I don’t re-read often it has to be a great book. Some that I have re-read are Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and The Fault in our Stars by John Green.

Q ~ What authors have most influenced you most in your writing and in your life as a whole?
John Green and Sarah Dessen. They got me into reading YA and in doing so I started to write it myself.

Q ~ How did you get started writing? 
I’ve always loved writing ever since I was a kid, but I always had issues finishing stories. When I started doing NaNoWriMo a few years back I started finishing books and that’s when I knew I wanted to publish.

Q ~ What’s your writing style? Have you always written in the same manner or has this evolved?
I like to try different styles out, I do think that my style has been getting better with each book I write. It becomes more defined.

One thing I do like to do is try and involve a tough subject, like in How I Got here I wrote about anorexia. I guess that’s part of my style, but I do intend to try and write something more upbeat for my next novel.

Q ~ Do you set writing goals for yourself? Do you always meet them?
I do set them but I don’t always meet them. It’s usually things like ‘today you’ll edit x amount of pages’ but I rarely stick to it.

Q ~ Can you tell us a bit about your writing? 
I write young adult contemporary fiction, most commonly my protagonist is female. Like I said above I often tackle big issues in my writing, but I always try to balance it out with lighter topics as well.

Q ~ What’s up next for you, writing wise?
I’m taking part in Camp NaNo in April. I’m going to be writing a YA fiction novel. It’s about a 17 year old girl who gives up her chaos free summer, to work in her sisters restaurant on the other side of the country. There’s going to be some drama with her best friend, and a love interest.

I hope for it to be my next published book.

Q ~ If you could give all new authors one piece of advice, what would it be?
Read. It’s such a simple piece of advice but the more you read the better your writing will become. Also always have something on you that you can write on.

Now lets take a look at Hannah's published works.

Title:  After Summer
Published:   March 1st 2013 by Amazon
Page Count:  290

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Everything changes for Arianna when she loses one of her best friends in an accident, suddenly everything that felt happy and safe, is no longer there, and she can't handle it.

It used to be Ben, Summer and Arianna, always together, and now it's just Ben and Arianna left, and she needs to escape.

After Summer's death she pushes Ben away, cutting of her connection with who she used to be, but she can't keep running forever, not when the past is always ready to catch her up, especially since it's more than just Summer's death that she's running from.

Title:  How I Got Here
Published:  July 18th 2012
Page Count:  240

Synopsis from Goodreads:

How I Got Here is a young adult novel. It takes us through River's story, a young girl who has been in hospital for a long time. She's incredibly withdrawn and lonely. Nobody around her tries to understand her symptoms, choosing instead to brush it aside. Until Oliver, a young doctor who works hard to figure out what's happening with her.

Through a series of letters to him, River starts to open up about the painful details of her past, until she's explained the story of how she got to where she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment