Sunday, February 24, 2013

Roots by Kelbian Noel

Title:  Roots
Author:  Kelbian Noel
Series:  Witchbound #1
Published:  March 15th 2013 by Diverse Pages (first published July 18th 2012)
Page Count:  241
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Shelf:  Review Copy
Rating:  ★

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Roots (formerly Elemental) is currently unavailable for purchase, but will be re-released (with its new name!) on Easter Weekend, followed by Book 2, Sprung, on April 1st. Stay tuned!

Seventeen-year-old Baltimore Land just wants to be normal, but magic has other plans.

I don’t consider myself a witch, that's my parents' thing. I've never really believed in magic either. Sure, I tried it a few times. Fell for the whole “magic happens” thing. But it didn’t happen to me. No amount of rhyming stopped my parents from moving me halfway across the country. Not one spell stopped me from being labeled the town freak.

And worst of all, no matter how many times I begged the Universe to bring my twin back, I was ignored. Until now.

He’s back all right. And in a magical bind of his own. Not the magic-won’t-work-for-me kind either. In fact, it’s working a little too well. Too dark. Too deep.

It turns out our entire family’s magical roots run just as deep and my brother didn’t end up where he is by accident. So I’m going to help him. But magic isn’t really on my side. Nope. Once I finally get the craft under control, I’m expected to abandon the one person in the world who’s closest to me, just to save myself.


My Review:

This novel was quite an enjoyable read. It was tactfully written in the first person without repeatedly flipping tenses or person. Noel also combines the world of Wicca with a great many unique ideas in order to create a world that you want to get to know better. The novel contains a fair amount of narrative that builds up this world. It is quite brilliant the way Noel sets this world up. The vibrant descriptions that she employs round this all out to make the whole world shine.

The characters in this novel are fairly well developed. I feel like the author is giving you a taste of who they are, making it so that you have to come back for more in order to really get to know them. I appreciate the fact that she doesn’t throw random facts about the characters at you. You get to know them gradually, like you would a real person that you met at a coffee shop. It adds another element of realism to this intriguing story.

Although this story was very interesting and quite creative, I found a few parts of the story to be a bit slow. That said, it picks up near the end and becomes very enthralling. As a whole, it seems like it’s a setup for something much bigger and I’m dying to see where it goes. I also would love a deeper look into this striking world.


Buy your  copy online March 15th!



No comments:

Post a Comment