Sunday, February 10, 2013

Esmerelda by Judith Leger

Title:  Esmerelda
Author:  Judith Leger
Series:  Witch Mountain
Published: October 25th 2012 by Pine Wood Press
Page Count:  43
Genre:  Paranormal Romance
Shelf:  Review Copy
Rating:  ★★

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Widow Glory Sinclair and her daughter are living a quiet life on the mountain homestead her family settled nearly three hundred years ago. Then, on a crisp autumn morning, a fractured shriek echoes across the hollow, and Glory’s temperamental handyman claims her prized statue carved from a tree trunk attacked him. Could a wooden likeness of a witch who died centuries before take life? Glory doesn’t think so. Still, mouthwatering sheriff and bachelor William Moore’s decision to hang around and get to the bottom of the increasingly frequent strange occurrences provides her a degree of comfort. Her growing desires to find comfort in his bed…not so much.


My Review:

This story was definitely one of a kind. I don’t think that I’ve ever read anything that comes quite close to the storyline of this short story. It was very refreshing in that way.

The writing style that the author employs flows well from one section to another and from one place to another. I found the writing style to be slightly simplistic based on the type of story that the author was telling, but she made it work well. The story itself however was a bit stiff. I found myself spending as much time trying to fill in the blanks as I did enjoying the story.

I know that it is very difficult to fit details into a short story, making it even more difficult to choose a topic of writing. I found that with this story the tale of Esmerelda was mingling with the budding love story. Because of this all we know about the characters is their names. Even with this being a short story, they should have had some substance. Perhaps had the author written about one or the other I would have been able to immerse myself more fully into the story.


Buy your copy online here today.


No comments:

Post a Comment